JF&CS, in partnership with Combined Jewish Philanthropies, is now offering a Suicide Loss Survivor Support Group.
If you need immediate help, please call or text 988 - The National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. If you are seeking grief counseling or group support, please reach out to our Mental Health Connect information and referral service.
We are here for you.
*This group is meeting via Zoom video conferencing.
JF&CS has teamed with CJP to offer a nonsectarian support group for survivors of suicide loss. We provide survivors with a safe, supportive, and judgement free environment where they can express themselves, find comfort, hope, and resources with others confronting the pain and loss of a suicide.
The facilitators, Marjorie U. Sokoll, the founding director of the JF&CS Betty Ann Greenbaum Miller Center for Jewish Healing, and Rabbi Suzanne Offit, Board Certified Chaplain, have both been trained by Samaritans of Boston and bring relevant professional and personal experience in the Jewish community to provide healing support in a safe space.
Download our flyer for more details.
When: 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
To pre-register, please contact Marjorie Sokoll at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-693-5619.
Additional Resources for Suicide Loss Survivors
If you need support, call or text 988 - the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
- Samaritans, Greater Boston www.samaritanshope.org - 617-536-2460
- Samaritans Statewide Crisis Help Line 1-877-870-HOPE (4673) (call or text)
- Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention www.masspreventssuicide.org
- Greater Boston Regional Suicide Prevention Coalition www.greaterbostonpreventssuicide.org
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – A free, 24-hour lifeline www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org - 800-273-TALK (8255), text TALK to 741741
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention www.afsp.org
- American Association of Suicidology – www.suicidology.org
- No Shame On U – End Stigma. Save Lives – www.NoShameOnU.org
- SAMHSA, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration www.samhsa.gov
- Blue Dove Foundation – Transforming the Way the Jewish Community Understands Mental Health & Substance Abuse, www.thebluedovefoundation.org 404-490-2391
- Refuat Hanefesh’s mission is to create a Jewish community that is more aware, respectful, and empathetic to people living with mental illness www.refuathanefesh.org
- Massachusetts 211: Call to Talk is a National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Crisis Center
The organizations and websites are listed as a public service and are not endorsed or vetted by JF&CS.
- “Mental Health in the Jewish Community” Facebook Group
- “Jewish Grief, Loss, & Bereavement” Facebook Support Group
- “Elijah’s Journey - Suicide Awareness/Prevention in the Jewish Community” Facebook Group
The Facebook Groups are listed as a public service and are not endorsed or vetted by JF&CS.
On March 2nd, 2022, JF&CS held an online event "Suicide Loss in the Jewish Community: An Evening of Learning". This program brought the community together to learn about suicide loss and how to respond to its impact in the Jewish community. Please watch the recording below of the event; do not hesitate to reach out if you would like to get involved with the work JF&CS does with suicide loss survivors!
On September 19th, 2022, JF&CS hosted a Yizkor Remembrance event, "Remembering Loved Ones Who Died by Suicide". The community gathered to share stories of those lost to suicide and share prayers and poems to help the community understand the impact of suicide loss and grow from the conversation surrounding it. You can view a recording of the event below.
This free service is staffed by eldercare professionals who will connect you with the resources and expert advice you need.
Aging Life Care Management
Your Elder Experts
Your Elder Experts is a team of caring professionals who guide older adults and their families through the complexities and challenges of aging well.
Support for caregivers
Adult Family Care
A MassHealth program offering financial assistance and support to caregivers of individuals with disabilities and/or medical conditions