Provides education, training, and consultation to older adults and aging service providers to both prevent and address mental health problems that put older adults at risk for suicide.
Mental illness in senior housing can be stressful as well as costly. It results in staff burnout and turnover, erodes community cohesiveness, and puts tenants at risk for eviction. In addition, it has serious consequences for the well-being of all residents.
JF&CS recognizes the need to reach out and foster caring communities that are equipped and empowered to support our future population of diverse and deserving older adults. We work with staff in senior housing and in community settings, providing support for older adults with mental illness. We offer optimism and resilience workshops for older adults; address the issue of social bullying through education and training for professionals and consumers; and train paraprofessionals and professionals in senior housing on suicide prevention.
Services provided through Suicide Prevention:
Free, online guides, including:
- Tips and Techniques for Supporting Residents with Mental Illness: A Guide for Staff in Housing for Older Adults
- Suicide Prevention: A Practical Guide for Staff in Massachusetts Independent Senior Housing
Training and consultation for staff in senior housing and community settings, including:
- Understanding and managing difficult behaviors that put residents at risk for eviction, depression, unnecessary hospitalizations, and suicide
- Suicide prevention
- Understanding and intervening around social bullying among older adults
Workshops with older adults in senior housing and community settings, including:
- Optimism and the Art of Aging
- Bullying: How You Can Make a Difference (bystander training)
- Living in Community
This free service is staffed by eldercare professionals who will connect you with the resources and expert advice you need.
Aging Life Care Management
Your Elder Experts
Your Elder Experts is a team of caring professionals who guide older adults and their families through the complexities and challenges of aging well.
Support for caregivers
Adult Family Care
A MassHealth program offering financial assistance and support to caregivers of individuals with disabilities and/or medical conditions