Infant-Parent Training Institute
The Infant Observation Course helps prepare professionals for working with infants, parents, and families.
The course includes a two-hour small group seminar, weekly one-hour observations of an infant-parent dyad, written observations, and readings on aspects of infant observation, development, and infant-parent interaction. The course meets twice a month from September to June. Please see the FAQs for more information.
Infant Observation provides a rich experience for professionals across a wide spectrum of disciplines. Our students have included social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, early childhood educators, nurses, occupational and physical therapists, and early intervention specialists.
The Experience of Infant Observation
Observing infants over time in their family setting forms the foundation for understanding early development and the parent-child relationship. In addition, the experience of close observation builds awareness of the observer’s internal experiences and responses, a critical base for therapeutic work. Formal training in infant observation has long played a role in the training of psychotherapy professionals and child development specialists.
Observers become sensitized to intricate aspects of infant behavior and infant-parent interaction. The natural and inevitable feelings aroused by infant observation are shared and explored within the supportive small group. This allows for multiple perspectives and expands the view of the one observer. Group process provides another level of understanding, as group interactions sometimes parallel interactions observed between mothers and infants.
- IPTI will be offering two Infant Observation seminars, one at our Waltham Headquarters and one in Providence, Rhode Island. Both seminars meet twice a month.
- Classes are small; maximum of five students.
- The tuition for the course is $1,500.
- CEUs for some disciplines will be available.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interviews may be required.
- Please contact us if you would be interested in IPTI offering Infant Observation on-site for your organization or group.
- Download the Infant Observation Course application.
For more information, call 781-693-5652 or email your questions via our contact us page.